Five Ways to Relieve Stress and Anxiety Naturally
Let’s be honest. Life can be a bit stressful at times! You’re constantly busy going to work, paying the bills, taking care of your family and navigating the ups and downs of daily life. Not to mention, you’re constantly bombarded by negative news. Just browsing through your social media feeds can make you feel super inadequate. With all those stressors, it’s no wonder that 8 in 10 Americans are afflicted by stress on a daily basis. The trouble with being consistently stressed is that it can really wreck-havoc on your body. Stress can contribute to a variety of ailments including high blood pressure and heart disease. It can also lead to mental changes like depression, anxiety and overall mood imbalance. In these busy times, how can you stay upbeat and positive? How can you reduce the damaging effects of stress on your body? Good News! Though it feels like a hard mountain to climb, you can absolutely reduce your stress and start focusing on your health. Here are five ways that you can relieve stress in order to live the happy and healthy life you deserve.
1. Stay hydrated – It may sound simple, but drinking water is one of the easiest ways to help you feel healthy and happy! In fact, dehydration is one of the top causes of stress in the body. When you’re under stress, your adrenal glands pump out hormones to help you find balance. If you’re constantly under stress, your adrenals can become overwhelmed, leading to an imbalance of electrolytes.
Take Action: How much water should you drink? Take your body weight and divide it in half. The number you get is the total amount (in ounces) that you should be drinking each day. Add a splash of lemon juice to your glass for some added flavor and a boost of vitamin C.
2. Eat a healthy diet – Research has shown that the food you eat directly impacts your mental health. In fact, an unhealthy diet is a major risk-factor for experiencing depression and anxiety. If your diet consists mainly of highly-processed, pre-packaged foods, your body may not be getting the nutrients it needs to help you stay happy.
Take Action: Start today by snacking on nuts, drinking cold-pressed juice and sprinkling seeds (like flax or chia) onto your salads. Make cooking meals with fresh, local ingredients a daily priority!
Super Tip: If you need a little help revving-up your nutrition, try GoBiotix Complete Probiotic Multivitamin. You’ll love that it contains 25 billion CFU (good-for-you bacteria and beneficial yeast for gut health) and it’s packed with whole-food nutrients including vitamin A, C, D and E. Best of all? GoBiotix Complete Probiotic Multivitamin is 100% natural, vegan-friendly and gluten-free.
3. Meditate – When you lead a busy life, finding time to relax often falls by the wayside. One of the best ways to incorporate stress-free time into your daily routine is by taking a small moment to meditate. Meditation helps you feel focused and grounded, eliminating all of the stressful thoughts that race through your brain. It helps the body return to a state of calmness, allowing your body to repair any physical damage that the stress may have caused.
Take Action: Find a place where you can be undisturbed, turn on some soothing music and spend 15 minutes meditating comfortably. Focus on your breath and tune out all of the distractions that surround you.
4. Get a good night’s sleep – If you have trouble sleeping, you know how it can really wreck your day! Not getting enough sleep at night can cause you to feel anxious, experience fatigue and have a hard time concentrating on daily tasks. One of the best ways to restore your Zs is by crafting a great sleep hygiene routine.
Take Action: Make your room as dark as possible and keep it between 60 and 68◦F while you’re sleeping. Turn off electronics at least one hour prior to bedtime. If you have a hard time sleeping in silence, invest in a white-noise machine to keep you relaxed. Essentially, you want to make your bedroom a sanctuary where you can easily fall (and stay) asleep. If you still can’t sleep, try swapping your daily cup of joe for a mug of calming tea instead.
5. Exercise- Not only does working out help you lose weight, it can actually help your body combat stress! That’s because exercise has been shown to help lower your body’s stress hormones while releasing mood-boosting endorphins. Exercise also gives you confidence which in turn leads to a boost in mental wellbeing.
Take Action: It’s important to find an exercise routine that you find enjoyable and rigorous. Try walking, jogging, dancing, or even swimming! It doesn’t matter which exercise you pick, just do something